Monday, March 26, 2007

Warning to locals

Have you ever traveled to a place only to be railroaded by well meaning locals?

This happened to me early this year on a trip to Virgin Gorda. Upon arriving at our hotel my husband and I asked our host where he would recommend we go for lunch.

"Bitter End," I asked? "Ugh," said he. "Leverick Bay? Biras Creek?" I enquired. "Terrible," he replied.

Well by now I was ready to give up. I understand that not everyone has a great opinion of evey place, but, C'mon! I had heard enough positive praise that I figured one of these would be ok.

Finally he said grudgingly, "Saba Rock, that's a nice place."

Well -- in the end we stayed at the hotel and went out to dinner at a charming place in Spanish Town.

Note to locals: You may want to consider your audience when recommending a place to tourists.

No comments: